Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Saying Goodbye


On Tuesday, we had to put down our beloved kitties, Ceilteach and Lucy. We're both heartbroken. For over a year we've tried our best to get them back to their happy and healthy selves, but they both had illnesses that were too much to overcome. Because of the pandemic, Caera and I would not be able to be with them if we went to a clinic. Thankfully, Caera found a travelling vet who offered safe, at-home services, so the cats were able to pass peacefully at home as we held them.

I'm glad they're no longer suffering, but wow this is hard. They were only twelve, which is actually young compared to other cats I've had. They were bonded same-litter sisters who loved to play and sleep together and groom each other. And they had such unique, expressive personalities! I've never been so close to a cat (and I've had some pretty strong connections in my life). I especially felt close to Ceilteach (Irish for "hidden", and she lived up to that name). They were our emotional support animals, and while I can only guess at their internal worlds, they seemed tuned in to our wellbeing, always snuggling with either of us when we were sick or sad. Lucy was often Caera's "purring heating pad," and I spent countless late nights with Ceilteach on my lap, helping to ease my mind.

I'm devastated, and I already miss them so much. This house is empty and lonely and doesn't feel right without them.







No comments:

Post a Comment