Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Home Garden Updates

 


We finished filling the interior bed with soil, and I also mixed in some perlite for drainage. I sowed seeds that I was able to obtain (I was late ordering, and they've been harder to acquire than usual during the pandemic), including some saved marigold (for pest control) seeds from last year. This year, I know my main focus is getting the garden constructed, but even still, I'd like to see what I can grow while we're still working on the build.

You may have noticed the shells bordering the keyhole garden. A friend suggested using pistachio shells as a method of slug control, and I've finally eaten enough pistachios to give it a try. For some reason I also decided to give the beer method another go, and the result was underwhelming this time (but reliably disgusting).

Kate gifted me with a couple birdhouses she built, and they make a lovely addition to the snags. Thank you!


I cleaned out an old rain barrel that Caera and I had used at Red Barn Community Farm and set it up near the mandala garden. This small barrel is obviously not the most efficient way to water plants, but I like having multiple sources of water (and in this case, a way to capture it).


No comments:

Post a Comment