Monday, September 7, 2020

Storage Space Project

Having a covered workspace is important to me. I enjoy doing construction projects, and the garage is obviously an ideal space for such activities. At least, it would be if I had space to move around in there. When we moved in the beginning of 2018, the process was rushed and chaotic, and a lot got dumped in the garage for later sorting. I also have a lot of construction and landscaping tools to store in there, which makes wading through the clutter extra frustrating. I'm pretty sure our two-car garage is the smallest size one can get away with and still technically be considered "two car." The shelves help, as do my equipment on wheels, but I still need a little more space in order to get organized and functional.

I need a covered area to give myself some breathing room in the garage, so I decided to get a simple 10' x 17' portable garage and set it up in the back of the house. I have reasons why I'm not building a permanent shed at the moment. Since I won't be pouring a concrete base but will still need a level frame to mount the garage onto, I decided to use up some suboptimal studs and posts and build a platform raised on adjustable concrete blocks. That way nothing will be resting on the ground, I can level it as needed, and the structure will remain temporary.

I made a crude drawing of the platform I have in mind, maximizing the use of materials I already have:


I've managed to temporarily clear out the garage enough to get started. I can just barely fit the frame inside, and it will involve continually moving equipment around, but I think I can make this work.




No comments:

Post a Comment