Monday, July 20, 2020

Weird Vegetative Growth in the Same Bed

We've noticed a curious development in the bed with corn and tomato plants. The tomatoes' vegetative growth has exploded, and there isn't a lot of flowering yet. (Yes, I've once again neglected to prune and stake my tomatoes, and I have no excuse other than I'm barely keeping up with anything right now.) On the other side, the corn plants have quit growing taller and are sending out their tassels. Something seems to have stressed them, be it watering, nutrient content, temperature changes, or general neglect. I wasn't here for a few weeks, so I'm not sure what may have happened during that time. Since corn stalks rely on wind pollination and these plants are only a foot or two off the ground, Kate and I are hand-pollinating to help them along. I haven't tried that before so we'll see how well it works.





No comments:

Post a Comment