Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Job Transitions, New Class

Landscaping

I just got laid off from my landscaping job on Monday. I knew work was slowing down a bit, which sometimes happens in this industry. I understand, and have no hard feelings. We all wish the best for each other. Strangely, I don't feel as panicked about the situation as I imagined I would be. I'm still working Sundays at Gray Barn, and there's a chance I can turn this latest setback into an opportunity. Stay tuned.

Cultivating Success

Caera and I just began the Business Planning course last night (the one we started taking last January in Mount Vernon and dropped out once we discovered there's a much closer class in Everett). It's part of WSU's Cultivating Success series, and if you're interested in getting started in farming and/or ranching, this is an excellent program to get involved with.
One of two foundation courses in the Cultivating Success program, Agricultural Entrepreneurship and Farm Business Planning helps new and current farmers gain skills in business planning and direct marketing.

This in-depth business planning course covers evaluating resources, planning and research, legal and management issues, marketing strategies, budgets and financial statements along with how to cultivate capital resources.

During the course, participants will develop a business plan they can literally take to the bank to finance a new enterprise or expand an existing farm-based business. In addition, the course will have a special emphasis on the financial and legal issues unique to farm-based businesses.
Okay, maybe that description seems a little dry, but the instructor and the weekly speakers are great, and you get a lot of useful information and feedback. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment